First up, gifts for my boys.
I was going to make my mother-in-law some potholders, but the plan was cursed from the get-go. The first fabric I wanted to use was 100% polyester so I had to pick something else. Then the layers of fabric and batting were too much for my machine. So those have been put aside and I decided to knit up some mittens. Originallly, I was going to use Thistle Mittens by Libby Guillard-Somers (rav link), but the pattern is top-down and I didn't want to be trying new techniques 3 days before Christmas. So, I modified, heavily.
My mods were:
- Cast on 48 stitches and knit 2x2 ribbing for 1 1/2 inches (~15 rows).
- On the next row k1, k in stitch below, p21, k2, k1 k in stitch below, k 23 (now 50 stitches).
- then I started the chart, which was more of a guide than directions since I was working up instead of down. On row 20 of the chart I started my increases for thumb gusset. Followed pattern to last 2 stitches placed a marker, k 1, k in stitch below, k 1, k in stitch below, placed a marker, k to end of round every other round until 16 stitches for thumb.
- I worked one round of chart before removing thumb stitches to waste yarn and casting on 4 stitches over thumb.
- this meant there were 2 k stitches on one side before pattern and 3 stitches on the other side (I had a deadline, I didn’t have the time to make it perfectly symmetrical)
- I followed the rest of the patter, decreasing (ssk, k2tog) where chart had M1s until 6 stitches on each needle, then I grafted.
- I knit 20 rows for the thumb, k1 k2 tog around, k2 tog around to about 7 stitches cut yarn and pulled through.
I'm going to need to hit a fabric store to re-stock on Christmas prints. M-i-L loved the gifts bags and I think I'll be out of stock by the time I get the VT gifts wrapped up!