my life as a crocheter & knitter & working mom

Thursday, December 10, 2009

tell me you like something, and I'll probably make it for you, eventually

My maternal grandmother was a great crafter. She knit, crocheted, sewed, beaded, braided rugs and made the best fudge and pies. Every year at Christmas we would all get a tin of fudge (although, since I live away I would get tupperware as the tin wouldn't get back to her for the next round of gift-giving) and she would bring out ornaments and garland she'd made throughout the year. I have some wonderful ornaments she made and the angel on top of our tree was made by her as well (she made sure everyone got a bead angel). I also have two garlands that she crocheted. The garlands usually adorn our bannisters (this year, in a break with tradition, one was in hung in the arch between dining room and living room instead of on the upper half of the staircase).

My mother-in-law has said she likes the garlands a number of times. So, I made her one for Christmas. I had left-over Christmas ombre from the tree skirt I crocheted my mother 8 or so years ago. I didn't have the pattern my grandmother used (even though I inherited her knitting and crocheting stuff), but it was easy enough to look at the ones I have and see that it was simply 3 dc in each stitch of the foundation chain.

I cast on what I thought was enough stitches Sunday after lunch, and by dinner time I was done.




1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I miss Nannie. She was a sweet, sweet lady. <3