my life as a crocheter & knitter & working mom
Friday, June 30, 2006
What I am not going to do is think about my job.
Thanks for the compliments on the anklet, KSKS pal. It's of my own creation. Well, I got the stitch pattern from the 365 stitch perpetual calendar and the rest of it follows the regular sock formula.
You know you're a "real" knitter when you get a callus on the figure you hold your working needle against. Question is, is it a badge of honor or a sign I need to diversify? (I'd take a picture, but I got no macro on the $99 easyshare.)
Thursday, June 29, 2006
Sock has 18 more rows since I had a long commute in (don't know why it takes so long when it's finally sunny).
Wednesday, June 28, 2006
I worked the pattern down the heel (since backless shoes are my favorite) and am working the pattern on the top of the foot just to slow myself down.
Hubby mentioned Monday night that he really likes these colors, but doesn't want a pair. I wish I could get that man to wear striped socks!
Did you notice AnnyPurls calling me lucky about my stashing while she's been a bit busy on that front herself?
I did not touch Cece last night. I spent a long time getting our DSL setup at home and then surfing till bedtime.
Tuesday, June 27, 2006
I'm ripping and knitting a sock of my own make-up (hard to say you're desiging an anklet) from the regia cotton surf. First one was too big but it took me nearly to the toe to admit it, second seems like it's going to be a mite too small. Fortunatley, it's only a few days of concerted knitting time I'm wasting (Saturday, Sunday and yesterday).
Cece is making slow progress. I'll finish her someday....
Friday, June 23, 2006
I've got ten balls of Lana Grossa bouclerino in Kelly green (merino and polyamide, and oh so soft).
Dale garn sisik in red (also really soft, but it's a blend of other stuff). 13 balls of that.
The fabric on the left is a bit more pink than I was expecting (should have gotten the blue one). It was going to be top or something. I think I'll make some PJs out of it.
The fabric on the right is just what I was expecting. A skirt or a top?
We had a good stitch yesterday. The second Cece sleeve only needs about two rows to be completed. I'll post a pic once I get the sleeves attached to the body.
I should have some goodies to show you later. I splurged a bit at Herrschner's last week (you don't say). There's some yarn and some fabric coming my way and it's supposed to be delivered today.
Thursday, June 22, 2006
I may need that cabana boy and the umbrella drinks when I join this whole thing up in a few days. Fortunately, raglan shaping means it will get smaller quickly (and it's a v-neck so that will help, too).
I didn't get much done on the socks yesterday. I spent most of the bus ride on the phone. Darn job, cutting into knitting time when I'm not even there!
Wednesday, June 21, 2006
Tuesday, June 20, 2006
I was feeling really great about Cece last night. I was 3/4 of the way through the first sleeve when I realized I'd skipped a K row. Granted, in the grand scheme of things, I probably could have just let it go, but I started ripping out the four rows above it. Three steps forward, four steps back. Thanks for the compliments on her. I can't wait to get her blocked and start wearing her. She'll be supplanting the sock for commuter knitting on Thursday because we're having a stitch lunch.
And for my KSKS buddy:
- What are your favorite colors? reds, oranges, purples
- Are you a new sock knitter? kind of new How long have you been knitting socks? just over a year
- Do you prefer solid or multicolored yarn? multicolored
- What fibers do you prefer in sock yarn? wool and wool blends
- Where do you usually knit socks? during my commute (on the bus, the subway)
- How do you usually carry/store small projects? in a ziploc bag in my larger work tote
- What are your favorite sock knitting patterns? don't really have one
- What are your favorite sock knitting techniques? haven't tried too many techniques
- What new techniques would you like to try? short row heels and toes, toe-up
- Do you prefer circulars or dpns for sock knitting? dpns, but I'm willing to try two on two circs (and I'm not fussy about circs)
- What are some of your favorite yarns? Koigu, regia sock yarns
- What yarn do you totally covet? Lorna's laces
- Any pattern you would love to make if money and time were no object? I can't think of a sock pattern in that category
- Favorite kind of needles (brand, materials, straights or circs, etc)? I use pretty much anything that will get the job done
- If you were a specific kind of yarn, which brand and kind of yarn would you be? a KPPPM that looks better in a sock than in a skein
- Do you have a favorite candy or mail-able snack? white chocolate anything
- What’s your favorite animal? my bulldog
- Do you have pets? What are their species/names/ages? I have a bully named Molly, she's 4
- If you were a color what color would you be? today, I feel like fire-engine red
- Describe your favorite shirt (yours or someone else’s).. I've had a few favorite shirts. The one I miss most was a pink on pink pinstripe button up
- What is your most inspiring image, flower, or object in nature?
- Tell me the best quote you’ve ever heard or read. "Take a drink with anyone and pick your pals where you find them" It's all about not pre-judging people and I found it an Albert Campion mystery by Marjorie Allingham
- Do you have a wishlist? nope
Monday, June 19, 2006
I was, of course, way too busy hanging out with the family this weekend to get much done, but I feel I've hit critical mass with her. I'm doing 3 repeats of the lace and then joining the sleeves to the body. Yes, another modification.
I've started the heel on the second sock. I hope to get that done this weekend. I want to start my yankee socks before the end of June. Because come July 1, I'm casting on for a pair of purple, feather and fan socks that have to be done for my sister's birthday.
Can anyone explain to me why a kid who hates sand on his feet (or hands) and won't go near the "big water," will whine for days about going back to the beach?
Friday, June 16, 2006
I'm also part way through 3 color repeats on the second sock. Just about 1 more and I start the heel. I'm very happy with myself for liking short socks.
Have a great weekend everybody. I'll try to have pics Monday.
Thursday, June 15, 2006
Wednesday, June 14, 2006
Cece has made negative progress. It's not her fault she's shorter, now. I'm the one knitting the wrong lace rows in the wrong places.
Tuesday, June 13, 2006
Still chugging along. Got about one inch to go till I start the toe decreases. Cece is getting about 4 rows longer everyday (each row is nearly 200 stitches). Soon, I will be starting the sleeves. I'll post a pic of that.
I'm so excited. My mom and dad are visiting this weekend. They haven't been down since April. Can't wait for them to see our little man. Wouldn't you want to share this?
Monday, June 12, 2006
Cygknit was my swapper. Didn't she do a great job? Perfect colors for me. Plus, she included some Lindt chocolates. Little sheepy-shaped milk chocolates and one of my favorite white chocolate truffles. No, they didn't make it to the pic. You know you're swapper's been reading your blog when she can tell you what the answer to a meme was from ages ago (I was a tequila sunrise on that cocktail meme way back when).
These skeins went out to my swappee on Saturday. Colors seem pretty accurate. Hope she likes them! I also (well, Hubby and B) mailed out the stockings which I seemed to have neglected to photograph.
My newest sock is going along. I'm in the middle of the slog to the toe. And I did manage a couple of more rows on Cece. I've started the v-neck shaping. A lot of housework was done this weekend (my parents are visiting and we'd reached our dirt-threshold anyway), so not much knitting.
I think I'm going to sign up for another along, Knit Sock Kit Swap. I figure I should have plenty in stash...
Friday, June 09, 2006
The in place afterthought heel is a bit fiddly to get going, but I think we're all going to get a kick out of the "bulls eye" effecct from the stripes. Thanks for all the compliments gals, but you know it's all the yarn. I really like the strato stripes, too. I've got three other colorways at home!
Thursday, June 08, 2006
Yesterday morning, when I couldn't open blogger, much less post, they looked like this.
Today, after lots of commuter knitting (Cece is my at home knitting), they look like this. Tonight, I start the heel. New technique alert, in-place afterthought heel. (The pattern is the welt chevron sock, sans welts, from Sensational Knitted Socks.)
Monday, June 05, 2006
I can't believe I've not blogged since May 26. Over a week.
Let's see if I can sum up:
Had a great time with the in-laws
Spent a haggard three-day week at work
Fun, baseball-filled weekend in Baltimore with the Hubby
Back to the haggard work thing
However, my last Herrschners order arrived. The colors are a bit wilder on the fluo (white with neon ribbon wrapped around is best way to describe) and the peach cotton cashmere is a bit more khaki. But I'll use them, eventually. I may wait until I know a baby girl before I do anything with the fluo.
Hubby's father's day gift also arrived. That was quick I only ordered it Thursday.
Billy broke my heart this morning. He woke up and cried and cried for Grammy. I think it's the first time I've not been able to comfort him (except, obviously, when I've pissed him off). I nearly cried myself. Guess Hubby and I need to be home a bit, hmmm?
I know it's June and it's supposed to be about blue, but I took this back and May and just took it off my camera today. I'm so glad we bought those washable markers.
Actually, I'll have some blue this week. I need to re-skein my dyeorama yarn and get that out. I'll also be FO'ing a couple of non-blue things. Including stockings (finished the knitting last night) and the beach jacket.