my life as a crocheter & knitter & working mom

Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas wrap-up

Christmas isn't completely over in these parts; we go to Vermont later this week to celebrate with my family.

But, I thought I'd post about those things I made for Christmas day in New Jersey.

First up, gifts for my boys.

I bought a bunch of Jets licensed fabric back in September/October, thinking I'd get something done for Hubby's birthday. Didn't happen. I did however make him a pair of shorts for sleeping in and pj pants for Billy, who barely wanted to put them on for a picture and will probably never wear them.

Next up was my father-in-law's gift.

He usually drapes on of M-i-L's aprons around his neck to protect his clothes when he carves, so I thought he should get his own manly apron. The pattern is simplicty and I cheated and used woven belting for the straps. He liked it a lot and wore it throughout Christmas dinner.

I was going to make my mother-in-law some potholders, but the plan was cursed from the get-go. The first fabric I wanted to use was 100% polyester so I had to pick something else. Then the layers of fabric and batting were too much for my machine. So those have been put aside and I decided to knit up some mittens. Originallly, I was going to use Thistle Mittens by Libby Guillard-Somers (rav link), but the pattern is top-down and I didn't want to be trying new techniques 3 days before Christmas. So, I modified, heavily.

I was able to get one finished for Christmas and gave her the completed pair at church yesterday, which she promptly showed off.

My mods were:
  • Cast on 48 stitches and knit 2x2 ribbing for 1 1/2 inches (~15 rows). 
  • On the next row k1, k in stitch below, p21, k2, k1 k in stitch below, k 23 (now 50 stitches). 
  • then I started the chart, which was more of a guide than directions since I was working up instead of down. On row 20 of the chart I started my increases for thumb gusset. Followed pattern to last 2 stitches placed a marker, k 1, k in stitch below, k 1, k in stitch below, placed a marker, k to end of round every other round until 16 stitches for thumb. 
  • I worked one round of chart before removing thumb stitches to waste yarn and casting on 4 stitches over thumb. 
  • this meant there were 2 k stitches on one side before pattern and 3 stitches on the other side (I had a deadline, I didn’t have the time to make it perfectly symmetrical) 
  • I followed the rest of the patter, decreasing (ssk, k2tog) where chart had M1s until 6 stitches on each needle, then I grafted. 
  • I knit 20 rows for the thumb, k1 k2 tog around, k2 tog around to about 7 stitches cut yarn and pulled through.
I have most of the Vermont gifts done, done, done. Just Mom's left to sew and Dad's birthday sweater to finish. Lots of wrapping to do!

I'm going to need to hit a fabric store to re-stock on Christmas prints. M-i-L loved the gifts bags and I think I'll be out of stock by the time I get the VT gifts wrapped up!

1 comment:

BlueBazu said...

You are one talented lady! :) Those mittens are beautiful!