my life as a crocheter & knitter & working mom

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

just because hubby needed something else to obsess about

The doctor heard a heart murmur yesterday when following up on Billy's bronchitis. I'm trying to get an appointment with a Ped Cardiologist to have him evaluated. Our pediatrician reassured me that 90% of the time it's nothing to worry about, and I know that. But, I was got anxious worrying about how Hubby was going to respond. I know, and anyone who's seen Billy tear around the house knows, that the kid doesn't seem to have a serious heart problem. Hubby, however, always sees the worst possible outcome. Definitely a glass half-empty kind of guy. It gets to be wearing on a gal.

But, the good news was that the ear infection and bronchitis are both responding to treatment. We'll finish out his scrips and don't have to go back unless he seems sick again. I'm looking forward to the cold weather, just so the pollen will go away and we won't have to worry about allergies for a few months. However, I'm sure cold and flu season will be fun, fun, fun (and me with 1 1/2 vacation days and 5 sick hours left for the year).

Goodness I'm tired. I shouldn't have stayed up for Medium (especially since I was so tired I didn't want to knit). Only about 2 inches until I start the armhole shaping on the left front. Just in time, I'm starting to get really, really bored with the stockinette!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay Annette, you need to tell your hubby that he REALLY does not need to worry about the heart murmur thing. We JUST recently went through the exact same situation (well, not EXACT, since the son they heard the murmur in was 12) but similar enough to be able to tell y'all both not to worry. Heart murmurs really are usually nothing at all, as was the case for us. We went through the whole Echo Cardiogram, Pediatric Cardiologist thing and everything turned out to be just fine. It's certainly worth following through on just so that you can find out that everything's okay though. Tell your hubby not to worry.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jeanie -- we just went through this with my four year old this summer. The pediatric cardiologist did tell us that it is not unusual for heart murmurs in small children to resolve themselves by puberty. However, even if it doesn't resolve itself, it's good to know about it so that you can keep a watch on it. At this point, there are no restrictions on my daughter's activities, and my mom told me that one of her cousin's son's still has the heart murmur discovered during his childhood. He played high school football and has had a successful career in the Army with no adverse affects, so there's no reason to see this as a tragedy, though I know it's hard when it's your child and you can't do anything about it.

Dropstitchknitter said...

I'm catching up on my blog reading and just wanted to say I hope all is well with Billy. I have a friend with a murmur and she's just fine - had it all her life and all she ever needs to do that's out of the ordinary is take an antibiotic before dental work. That's it. Keep us posted.