my life as a crocheter & knitter & working mom

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Happy Birthday Mom

Today is my mom’s birthday. I think I’ve mentioned before that I’ve never fought with my mom. Nope, not once. I’m sure that there are plenty of things we disagree about, but she’s not the type of person who forces her opinion on others. Heck, most of the time you wouldn’t know she HAD an opinion.

I can’t say she’s been a typical mom. When I was in eighth grade she made me start doing my own laundry (that’s what I get for complaining about how she did it). At about the same time, dinner became “whatever you can find.” Mom didn’t believe in coddling us. She’ll spoil me now when I visit, but growing up her goal was self-reliant kids who could do the dishes for her.

She’s always been supportive, but not in a touchy-feely way. Whatever I wanted to do, whether it was three weeks in France in high school, an expensive private college, or a semester abroad, she found a way to make it work.

If mom doesn’t let you know her opinion, she definitely does not let you know her needs. She’s selfless, everyone comes before her.

She’s got a great sense of humor and you can tell she’s content with her life. Except she’d like to see me, the hubby and our kid more often. She rarely nags and doesn’t give unsolicited advice. She keeps her cool and is steady as a rock.

Granted, she’s not perfect. She can be moody, and does hint at resentment sometimes, she’s sarcastic and a bit standoffish.

But, everyday I can see more and more of her in me and it makes me happy. My mom is one of the strongest people I’ve ever known and I’m so proud to be her daughter. That’s why she’s getting such a long DK-weight sweater for her birthday (even if it is a little late).

No comments: