my life as a crocheter & knitter & working mom

Thursday, March 17, 2005

beads, beads, beads

I'm currently enamoured of beads. I want to make my own stitch markers. I've found some really great beads on eBay and now only need to figure out how to get started. Like what to use for wire when I can't use a head pin. Do I really need to use jump rings, etc. I've never beaded in my life so this could be fun! It could also be something else I don't find time for but buy, buy, buy for. Yes, I am acquisitive. I've been good about not buying any yarn (I last stashed in February, Hubby's sock yarn does not count), but the knitting accessories still get me (stitch markes, ball winder, swift).

I was digging around in my closet for something green to wear and realized that I have a lot of yarn. Seriously, it's spilling out of the closet, it's under the bed, it's in the basement. When I come across something I've forgotten about, it's like a little present. Ooh, I remember that orange Kid Classic. Someday, I'll make a nice cardi out of it. Ooh, there's the Magpie Aran.

Billy does not like his sneakers. We put them on him and he thought they were okay. Then we stood him up. He freaked out. I don't know if he's ready for real shoes, yet. He's not that good a walker. They were a suggestion from day care. They've been taking the kids outside and Billy has trouble walking on the ground cover (rubbery mats) in his slippers. I'd let him run around inside barefoot if it weren't so darned cold all the time. (I've read it's best for balance and foot development to keep them out of shoes until they are walking well.) He's a pretty adaptable kid, I'm sure he'll get used to them. I'm just worried that he'll regress and go back to crawling all the time.

Our biggest concern with the kid, right now, is his speech. I know it's not been that long since his last visit to the doctor, but we're still not getting words. I know I shouldn't stress and he's going to be fine. But, what mom doesn't want everything to be perfect for her child?

We're all wearing green today. It's the only day of the year that my husband will admit to his Irish heritage. My dad's family's always figured they were Irish, too. I grew up in a very Irish area and it's strange for me here to see so few people wearing green. I always think of NY as so Paddy crazy (esp. with the parade), I forget how diverse it truly is!

No comments: