my life as a crocheter & knitter & working mom

Friday, January 07, 2005

Update on Andrea Yates

Having been partway down the road Andrea Yates traveled with Post Partum Depression, I was so relieved to hear about this on the news this morning. Then I was shocked and disturbed to realize that this woman was sentenced to life in prison, and could have been given the death penalty on the basis of one famous "expert's" false remembrance. Juries are so easily swayed by experts they've heard of.

The quote below struck a chord with me because I had similar thoughts before remission.

"On June 20, 2001, Yates confessed to police that she drowned her five children in a bathtub because she had been a bad mother who hopelessly damaged them."

It's also why we're not sure we should have more than one child. I can't imagine what having five would do to my mind.

No comments: