my life as a crocheter & knitter & working mom

Friday, September 17, 2004

I’m really enjoying working on Air. Of course I'm enjoying it, it's , a gorgeous color of calmer and I'm learning new techniques. What's not to love? We’ll see how long the love lasts once I start repeating myself (rather once the pattern starts repeating). I had a little difficulty with my first cables. I forgot to grab a cable needle and was using the #6 needle, but since that needle is so slippery, it kept falling out if I didn't pull the cord through the stitches (I prefer circs even when knitting flat). Fortunately, no stitches were dropped.

The picot cast-on went much more quickly than I thought. I do not dread casting on for the next pieces. Of course, the next pieces are far off in the future. I’m about 2 inches into the back right now. Fortunately, it’s not as long as Loll, but with the cables, ribs, and darts it’s much more complicated.

Now, I’m hoping it gets cool soon so I can wear my Paris Loop. I just checked the forecast and Sunday may be partly cloudy and windy with a high of 69. Perfect for long sleeves and Paris Loop! This evening and tomorrow it looks like we’re going to get hit with the remnants of Ivan. Wet, wet, wet, with the possibility of flooding.

Hurricane season has been ridiculous this year and it’s only September. Tropical Storm Karl has just become a named storm (after being tropical depression 12) and Jeanne looks like she’ll hit Florida (!) Wednesday. And we’ve got another month and a half of this. We’ve been fortunate in Jersey with the hurricanes, although we’ve had some flooding not related to the storms; we’ve not experienced too much destruction or many casualties. I did hear they think an El Niño is forming in the Pacific. I think that means warmer and drier winters for the Northeast. We could use some drier weather. This has been such a wet summer, if you can even call it summer. I’m glad I don’t live back home; they barely had a summer at all! I visited in July and August and never made it into Mom and Dad’s pool!

No comments: