my life as a crocheter & knitter & working mom

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Thank you, Kind Sir

I want to thank the man on the 113X to Dunellen last night for doing what I could not. He intervened with a mom who was having a bad time with her child on the ride home. I wanted to do something the first time she spanked her; but I didn't know what to do. The second time she spanked her I could only sit there in my seat and burn and think "if she hits this child twice in a half hour surrounded by strangers, what does she do at home?" I promised myself if she spanked her again I'd call 911; but I just say there listening to that poor girl cry and her mom tell her to shut it. This man was so much smarter than me. He walked over and gave the girl something to draw with and just talked calmly to mom and the little one. I didn't catch everything he had to say, but I did hear him tell the mom how hard it must be to deal with such a bright creative child when you just want her to sit quietly. He defused the situation gracefully.

I felt such guilt that I couldn't think of anything to do for that child. I hope that mom finds the resources she needs.

I'm so happy that my depression is in remission (Dr. Mayer's words) allowing me to become the type of mom I want to be. A mom that can find better ways than slaps and hurtful words. Billy deserves that much at the minimum. Someone please cut off my hands if I ever hurt him.

No comments: