my life as a crocheter & knitter & working mom

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

MmMmMm alpaca and mittens, too!

My last stashcquisition arrived today. Indiecita Baby Alpaca in medium green. I'm very happy with the purchase. It’s incredibly yummy and I can’t believe how accurate the color was on the site. Now, what to do with it? I've only got 10 dk skeins. I’m thinking a shell that I could wear close to my skin. MMMM.

Mittens, I have mittens. I finished Dad’s mittens Saturday and felted them Sunday. Felting is way cool. I threw them in a pillowcase, closed it with a rubberband (my washie is only 4 years old, I ain't killing it yet), threw it in a super-size load of towels, set it on a hot/cold, heavy wash cycle, and let it run. After I unloaded the washer, I realized I'd set it to only a medium water level. Ooops. Perhaps that's why it only took one spin through the washer. I need to see if they shrank at all while drying. They've been lying on my space board ever since. Fortunately, there did not seem to be too much lint. I think the pillowcase was unnecessary.

A toque for Dad in the same merino is on the needles. I’m having a dickens of a time starting it. I’m following Stephanie’s rolled brim hat recipe without the rolled brim. I’m doing a couple of inches of 4 x 4 rib, just to give it that traditional toque look. I'm going to just knit it for a while and see how it goes. I used just over one skein for the mittens. I might have a skein left after the hat. Scarf anyone?

No comments: